A California-based travel Website called VirtualTourist.com chose Spain’s Asturias region to top its list of the world’s “Top Five Places for Cider.
- Cider makers in Asturias embrace showmanship in its pouring rituals, allowing the public to watch as the cider and its destined glass are kept two to three feet apart during pouring to aerate the beverage.
- La Route du Cidre, a 25-mile stretch of road in France’s Normandy region, was picked as No. 2 on the list for the massive number of cider producers lining the road.
- New York was third on the list for the farms, apple orchards and cider mills that work in tandem to create the freshest cider for visitors.
- Fourth was the Frankfurt region of Germany, which boasts several pubs serving Ebbelwoi, a traditional alcoholic cider variant popular with locals and visitors alike.
- Fifth was Somerset, England, which has embraced cider as part of its local tradition since the 1600s, with frequent festivals, tastings and educational lectures devoted to the drink.
Here at UKCider we decided to make up our own top five cider and perry regions, to see how they would compare.
Just for fun, I wonder which would be your choices for the top 5 cider regions?