Cider Pub Guide to Herefordshire
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Herefordshire. 28 pubs listed so far...
- The Neville Arms, Abbey Dore, Herefordshire, HR2 0AA. Tel: (01981) 240319. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Situated in the Golden Valley, not far from Gwatkins (about 2 miles south). Was still open in February 2005, despite rumours of its closure and conversion to a private residence. Unfortunately didn't have time to call in... Update: Called in 6th May 2005. Still live and kicking as a pub, but apart from 3 draught 'keg' ciders, the only real cider available is bottled Gwatkins. They'd just had a bank holiday beer festival where 5 draught Gwatkins cider varieties had been on offer, so real cider is available but not on a regular basis.
- The Hop Pocket, The Hop Pocket Craft Centre, New House Farm, Bishops Frome, Herefordshire, WR6 5BT. Tel: (01531) 640592.
A curious bottle shop inside a craft center stocking over 60 local Ciders and Perries, most from good small-scale producers, and also local wines, ales and spirits. Free cider tasting offered every day. The craft centre also houses a gift shop, delicatessen and restaurant.
- The Majors Arms, Halmonds Frome, Herefordshire, WR6 5AX, 01531 641780.
Perched on the hillside up narrow and steep lanes you will stumble upon a little part of olde England at The Majors Arms. The beer garden offers stunning views over the Frome valley, famous for its hop yards and cider orchards, over most of Herefordshire to the black mountains in the Welsh Marches. Three real ales on tap. Draught perry is always stocked, usually Newtons, along with a draught cider in the summer months. Apparantly this comig summer (2011) it will be the landlords own brew! There is also a superb range of over 30 bottled ciders, most local, but some from far and wide. B&B is offered.
- Live and Let Live, Bringsty Common, Bringsty, nr Bromyard, Herefordshire, WR6 5UW. Tel: (01886) 821462.
- Royal Oak, Bromyard Downs, Bromyard, Herefordshire, HR7 4QP. Tel: (01885) 482585.
Website promises "local cider" - confirmation required.
- Bulls Head, The Bull's Head, Craswall, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 0PN. Tel: (01981) 510616.
Everything a rural pub should be. Beautiful location, unspoilt interior, great food & Wye Valley Beer, and draught Westons and Gwatkin ciders and perries. Gwatkin's Yarlington Mill was £2.75 a pint 30 July 2005. Review: a fantastic old country pub on Offa's Dyke selling Gwatkins tonsil varnish..well worth a visit, i think you can camp within staggering distance too! (april 06) Review: Re-opened June 2008, Gwatkins Bulls Head 5% and Westons Old Rosie, bottled Gwatkins perry. Camping in field, lunch and evening food.
- The Pandy Inn, Dorstone, Herefordshire, HR3 6AN. Tel: (01981) 550273. Email: email@example.com
- New Strand Inn, Eardisley, Herefordshire, HR3 6PW. Tel: (01544) 327285.
Bookshop, Tearoom, Post Office, and cosy bar with open fire and Westons Organic Vintage on handpump. Excellent.
- The Barrels, 69 St. Owen Street, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR1 2JQ. Tel: (01432) 274968.
Well respected Wye Valley Brewery ale house, friendly if a little smoky. Thatchers Heritage on handpump.
- The Brewers Arms, 97 Eign Road, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR1 2RU. Tel: (01432) 273746.
Thatchers 'draught cider' on handpump. A bit further out from the centre beyond The Barrels and Victory.
- Brittania, 7 Cotterell Street, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR4 0HH. Tel: (01432) 272908.
Friendly back-street local with a small garden at the rear. Westons Old Rosie, possibly only during the summer.
- Kings Fee, 49 - 53 Commercial Road, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR1 2BJ. (01432) 373240.
- Left Bank Village Delicatessen, Bridge Street, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR4 9DG. Tel: (01432) 349000.
- The Spread Eagle, King Street, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR4 9BW. Tel: (01432) 272205.
- The Victory, 88 St. Owen Street, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR1 2QD. Tel: (01432) 274998.
Home of Spinning Dog brewery and possibly the best range of draught cider in Hereford(shire). Four handpumps for real cider/perry, comprising a Westons selection plus one or two guests which have included Broome Farm, Bridge Hill Farm (Old Smokey/Old Knob Crippler), Hereford Pig, Gwatkins, and a perry from Seidr Dai. Characterful decor with a bar in the shape of a ship. Live music on occasion. Thursday daytime (11am-5pm) is happy hour for cider - get a pint of traditional cider for just £1!
- The Museum of Cider, 21 Ryelands Street, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR4 0LW. Tel: (01432) 354207.
The museum has an interesting collection of old cider equipment and artefacts, plus a walking tour through some cellars. They also have a shop selling cider brandy and a corner of otherwise-hard-to-find books for sale.
- The New Harp Inn, Hoarwithy, Herefordshire, HR2 6QH. Tel: (01432) 840900.
Broome farm Cider (not available when I last visited in July 2009 due to change of management, but check), riverside camping in neighbouring field. New owners claim to serve the following real ciders: New Harp Reserve (made by broome farm) and Broome Farm Perry.
- Prince of Wales, Church Lane, Ledbury, Herefordshire, HR8 1DL. Tel: (01531) 632250.
- The Retreat, High Street, Ledbury, Herefordshire, HR8 1DS. Tel: (01531) 632766.
Tidy, friendly pub right on the market place with Westons Herefordshire Country Perry and bottles.
- The Black Swan Hotel, West Street, Leominster, Herefordshire, HR6 8EP. Tel: (01568) 612020.
Locals hotel bar with Westons Scrumpy on Handpump.
- Black Horse, 74 South Street, Leominster, Herefordshire, HR6 8JF. Tel: (01568) 611946.
has good beer, and Addlestones on handpump if you like that sort of thing! BOARDED UP JAN. 2008.
- Chequers, Etnam Street, Leominster, Herefordshire, HR6 8AE. Tel: (01568) 612473.
New licensees and Westons 1st Quality Cider (CAMRA newsletter 'Hereford Hopvine' Winter 2006 edition)
- The Mortimers Cross Inn, Mortimers Cross Cottage, Nr Leominster, Herefordshire, HR6 9PD. Tel: (01568) 709212.
A 17th Century Inn, Westons Old Rosie and the usual fizzy suspects were on offer January 2008.
- The Three Horseshoes Inn, Little Cowarne, Bromyard, Herefordshire, HR7 4RQ. Tel: (01885) 400276.
Very popular small village pub, very good restaurant. Oliver's perry available on draught, and also what would appear to be the full range in bottles, 500ml crown caps and 750ml corked. Draught perry isn't available all the time, but if you phone beforehand, the landlord will ensure some Oliver's is available. (Tom Oliver's place is not far away so worthy of a visit. Check out his website: The Olivers) The chilled 750ml bottles of perry go really well with some of the food on offer in the restaurant. Good range of real ales too. Very quiet and peaceful area. B&B available, two small ensuite rooms, 1 x twin; 1 x double. 'Caravan Club' Certified Location also for 5 x caravans maximum.
- The Walwyn Arms, Much Marcle, Herefordshire, HR8 2LY. Tel: (01531) 660644.
- The Scrumpy House, Much Marcle, Herefordshire, HR8 2NQ. Tel: (01531) 660626.
At the site of Westons Cider. 4 draught ciders and perries. 2 Keg ciders and 6 bottled products. Also an AA rosette, flavours of Herefordshire winner.
- The Yew Tree, Preston-on-Wye, Herefordshire, HR2 9JT. Tel: (01981) 500359.
A great old fashioned 'no-frills' village pub the way they should be. Popular in the summer with canoeists on the nearby river. Hosts to the Foxwhelp Morris Wassail on 'olde' Twelfth night.(cracking!) Good real ale usually available as well as 'scrumpy' type cider from the barrel. Thatchers on draught too. A basic food menu.
- Crown & Sceptre Market Place, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, HR9 5NX. Tel: (01989) 562765.
- Loughpool Inn, Sellack, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, HR9 6LX. Tel: (01989) 730236.
- Mail Rooms, Gloucester Road, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, HR9 5BS. Tel: (01989) 760920.
- The White Lion, Wilton Lane, Wilton, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, HR9 6AQ. Tel: (01989) 562785.
Riverside locals pub with a huge open fire in winter. Up to four real ales and a good range of bottled ciders from Broome Farm. White Lion now selling broome farm traditional cider on draught. June 24th & 25th is The White Lion Beer & Cider festival - live bands performing all weekend.
St Owen's Cross
- New Inn, St. Owen's Cross, Herefordshire, HR2 8LQ. Tel: (01989) 730274.
Revised website claims "local ciders and perrys" - not visited yet. West of Ross on Wye.
- Saracens Head, Symonds Yat East, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, HR9 6JL. Tel: (01600) 890435.
Enormously busy, but pleasant, pub on the banks of the Wye at this ever-popular beauty spot. Westons Organic in bottles (plus draught Stowford Press). Food is surprisingly good. Local attractions include boat trips, canoeing, forest walks, the river ferry, and the amusement of trying to park while avoiding the eight zillion marauding children on the road.
- The Stagg Inn, Titley, Kington, Herefordshire, HR5 3RL. Tel: (01544) 230221.
- The Wellington, Wellington, Herefordshire, HR4 8AT. Tel: (01432) 830367.
Traditional country pub and restaurant, awarded 'Pub of the Year' in Flavours of Herefordshire. Westons 1st Quality on handpump, as well as at least four farmhouse ciders and perries on show at their annual summer beer festival.
- The Crown Inn, Woolhope, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR1 4QP. Tel: (01432) 860468.
Thriving Village local with good food and Westons Bounds Brand and Herefordshire Country Perry on Hand Pump and a full cider list featuring; Gwatkins, Ross on Wye Cider, Olivers, Greggs Pitt, Once Upon a Tree, Lynne Down and Westons Bottled ciders. The landlord also makes his own cider and perry from local apples and pears donated by the regulares, this is sold in 750ml bottles. It's nice to have someone like-minded speak enthusiastically about ciders over the bar, rather than using swearwords like S*****bow and M**gners! A must for cider fans! Commended in Flavours of Herefordshire 2008. CiderMike 11:47, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Herefordshire
- Ancient Camp Inn, Ruckhall, Eaton Bishop, Herefordshire, HR2 9QX. Tel: (01981) 250449.
Used to sell Gwatkin Cider, but closed down.
- Kings Arms Gloucester Road, Ross-on-Wye.
Re-named 'Irish' bar, and no longer sells real ciders (31/08/07).
- The Hereford Cider Museum, 21 Ryelands Street, HR4 0LW. (01432) 354207.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|