Cider Pub Guide to Oxfordshire
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Oxfordshire. 27 entries so far...
- Stocks Bar, The Crown & Thistle Hotel, Bridge Street, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 3HS. Tel: (01235) 522556.
Reputedly six real ciders (Westons bag-in-a-boxes).
- The Morris Clown, High Street, Bampton, Oxfordshire, OX18 2JW. Tel: (01993) 850217.
Friendly locals' pub proclaiming "proud not to do food". Intriguing Moulin Rouge-style decor. Moles Black Rat (but the carbonated variety rather than the more authentic polypin version).
- The Exchange, 50 High Street, Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX16 5LA. Tel: (01295) 259035.
Typical cavernous Wetherspoon with the standard range (Westons Old Rosie on hand-pull, Organic Vintage in bag-in-box, plus various bottles). Staffing and stock control can often be chaotic so don't bank on your favourite always being on. Can get unpleasantly rammed on Friday and Saturday nights.
- SH Jones, 27 High Street, Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX16 5EW. Tel: (01295) 251179.
- Ye Olde Reindeer Inn, 47 Parsons Street, Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX16 5NA. Tel: (01295) 264031.
A Hook Norton pub which, though it only serves Stowford Press, is generally a much more pleasant atmosphere than the Exchange.
- The Elephant & Castle at Bloxham serves Westons Old Rosie, and vintage organic.
The Elephant & Castle Humber St, Bloxham, Banbury, Oxfordshire OX15 4LZ LO CALL 08458 737358
- S H Jones, 9 Market Square, Bicester, Oxfordshire, OX26 6AA. Tel: (01869) 322448.
- The Penny Black, 58 Sheep Street, Bicester, Oxfordshire, OX6 7JW. Tel: (01869) 321535.
- The Swan, 13 Church Street, Bicester, Oxfordshire, OX26 6AY. Tel: (01869) 369035.
Far and away the best pub in town. 'Brakspears' (Refresh UK) house with comfortable sofas and clean, bright decor. Draught Addlestones, which is better than nowt I suppose. A short walk out of the centre of town, by the church.
- Royal Oak, Witney Street, Burford, Oxfordshire, OX18 4SN. Tel: (01993) 823278.
Weston's Traditional Scrumpy. A Wadworths house, this is the most pubby, and least restauranty, pub in Burford (though food is available) with a roaring fire and a local rather than passing-through clientele.
- The Rose and Crown, Market Street, Charlbury, Oxfordshire, OX7 3PL. Tel: (01608) 810103.
Town centre pub usually selling Moles (Thatchers) Black Rat and Biddendens Bushells. Ocacsionally Gwatkins Golden Valley perry or cider in bottles. Keg Stowford Press and Broadoak Pheasant Plucker; has had Gwynt y Ddraig perry and Thatchers Cheddar Valley at the winter beer festival. No food. Open from lunchtime every day. Charlbury has a good hourly train service from Oxford and Paddington.
- The Crawley Inn, Foxburrow Lane, Crawley, nr Witney, Oxfordshire, OX29 9TS. Tel:
Wonderful unkempt biker/hippie pub on the outskirts of a plush Cotswold village.
- The Plough Inn, The Bottom, Finstock, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, OX7 3BY . Tel: (01993) 868333.
The Plough Inn is North Oxon CAMRA Cider & Perry Pub of the Year 2006 and stocks (as of July 08) - Weston's Stowford Press (draught), Old Rosie (bag-in-box), Weston's Country Perry (bag-in-box), Sheppy's Sheppy's Dry Farmhouse (bag-in-box). Also good food & ales (re-entered Good Beer Guide for 2008 edition).
- The Fox Inn, Great Barrington, Oxfordshire, OX18 4TB. Tel: (01451) 844385.
- The Falkland Arms, The Green, Great Tew, Oxfordshire, OX7 4DB. Tel: (01608) 683653.
photo. Draught cider on handpump - in July 2006 this was Westons Traditional Scrumpy (plus Old Rosie and Thatchers Cheddar Valley during their beer festival). Astonishingly picturesque 16th century pub in this National Trust preserved village. Evening meals are available but only in limited hours, and tend to get booked up well in advance. If you can't get a table, just go for the excellent hand-reared pork pies instead. Off the B4022 between Banbury and Enstone.
- The Lamb, Satwell, Rotherfield Greys, nr Henley, Oxfordshire, RG9 4QZ. Tel: (01491) 628482.
Lovely old country pub owned by Anthony Worrall Thompson, so the food should be good! Sells Luscombe Organic Devon Cider in bottles.
- Dun Cow, West End, Hornton, Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX15 6DA. Tel: (01295) 670524.
Two draught ciders plus a wide range of bottles, according to the (excellent) local CAMRA newsletter Beer on Tap.
- Changed ownership and complete refit, needs revisiting: The Bell, Hampton Poyle (just north-east of Kidlington)
A posting at ratebeer.com suggests this pub offers five real ciders! On our afternoon visit the pub was closed but claimed to open from 4pm Monday-Saturday (closed Sunday). There were three Westons stickers on the front door. There is also a placard up offering a ten-year lease on the pub.
- Eagle and Child, 49 St. Giles, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 3LU. Tel: (01865) 302925.
Famous pub which was previously the haunt of Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and so on. Cider varies - sometimes none, sometimes Westons Old Rosie bag-in-a-box plus bottled Westons Organic. Bottles of varying quality in the fridge.
- The Turf Tavern, 4 Bath Place, Holywell, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 3SU. Tel: (01865) 243235.
Very busy old pub tucked down a side alley in the University part of town. Usually serves Old Rosie (unless it's off, or they've run out, etc. etc.).
- Hobgoblin, 172 Cowley Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4 1UE. Tel: (01865) 439496.
- Far from the Madding Crowd, 10 - 12 Friars Entry, Oxfordshire, Oxford, OX1 2BY. Tel: (01865) 240900.
Four different Thatchers bottles, plus Thatchers Gold draught. Self-consciously relaxed but pleasant atmosphere, all dark wood and newspapers. Hard to find - in the passage around the back of Debenham's, on the way through to the Gloucester Green bus station.
- Gardeners Arms, 39 Plantation Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2 6JE. Tel: (01865) 559814.
- The Jericho Tavern, 56 Walton Street, Jericho, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2 6AZ. Tel: (01865) 311775.
Bottled Westons Organic, Brothers Pear Cider (unflavoured/strawberry), Westons Perry, Aspalls Suffolk Strong and rosé. Also Addlestones. (Sadly no draught Organic Vintage any more.) Spacious pub next to the Phoenix cinema with excellent burgers - plus the Loch Fyne Restaurant on the other side.
- The Cape of Good Hope, The Plain, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4 1EA. Tel: (01865) 262291.
Formerly the daftly-named 'Pub Oxford' (part of the It's a Scream chain of student pubs), this is now a sister establishment to the Jericho Tavern and the Royal Oak on Woodstock Road. Westons Old Rosie and sometimes one other (Organic Vintage or Traditional Scrumpy) on draught, plus Addlestones, and bottled Brothers.
- The Grog Shop, 13 Kingston Road, Jericho, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2 6EF. Tel: (01865) 557088.
Off-licence with good selection of Westons (including 'wine-box' 1st Quality, Original Perry, and flagons of both Old Rosie and scrumpy) plus three French ciders. At the top end of Walton Street, by the mini-roundabout.
- The Royal Oak, 42 Woodstock Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2 6HT. Tel: (01865) 310187.
Westons Traditional Scrumpy, Aspalls and Addlestones (plus bottled Westons Organic and Brothers). The third in the 'chain' also including the Jericho Tavern and the Cape of Good Hope, and perhaps the most laid back and relaxed of them all. Worth a visit.
Also in North Oxford, the Gloucester Arms (rock pub on Friars Entry, round the back of the bus station) serves Addlestones, and the Victoria Arms, by the banks of the Cherwell in Old Marston, serves Stowford Press. There's also a creperie on North Parade Avenue which sells Breton cider.
The Masons Arms, 2 Quarry School Place, Headington (01865 764579) claims to sell real cider on draught and in various bottles - not checked yet. See a forum posting and their website (possibly the hardest to navigate in the world ;) ).
Sadly now closed: The Wharf House, 14 Butterwyke Place (off Oxpens Road, between the Thames and St Aldates), which was a smokey real locals' pub with various cider and perry on offer - often Welsh cider, according to the landlord, though they were out of stock on our last visit. Local Green Party stronghold. Even when open the place looked half-closed and boarded up from the outside. Not exactly a student pub!
- Stag's Head, Swalcliffe, Oxfordshire, OX15 5EJ. Tel: (01295) 780232.
Westons Cider on handpump.
- The Swan, Swinbrook, near Burford, Oxfordshire, OX18 4DY. Tel: (01993) 823339.
Beautiful riverside setting for this picturesque pub, just one mile off the A40 between Burford and Witney. Westons ciders and good beer and food. Now reopened under new landlord after major refurbishment autumn 2006. The good news is that Westons Organic Vintage is still available if you ignore the Stowford Press tap on the modernised bar, and ask. Those who remember the quaint Swan of old, with the Gents accessed from the yard outside, are in for a culture shock; the toilets are now accessed via the tasteful extension to the rear, where you are challenged by doors depicting hens with eggs, or a cock without! It is well staffed should you wish to order from the menu, or have your drink brought to your table. The changes seem to have been well received by the North Oxon CAMRA Branch, to judge from the front page feature of their Winter 2006 Beer On Tap newsletter.
- The Royal Oak, Newbury Street, Wantage, Oxfordshire, OX12 8DF. Tel: (01235) 763129.
A very popular pub which is a regular outlet for Lambourn Valley's Royal County. There are normally between 6 and 10 real ales available. Roy Bailey.
- The Angel Inn, Market Square, Witney, Oxfordshire, OX28 6AL. Tel: (01993) 703238.
Pleasant 17th century pub in central Witney. Westons Oak-Conditioned bottles. Cheap pub grub.
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to Oxfordshire
- The Tite Inn, Mill End, Chadlington, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, OX7 3NY. Tel: (01608) 676475.
- Local Tastes, 20 Buttermarket, Thame, Oxfordshire, OX9 3EP. Tel: (01844) 216264.
Delisted due to closure through lack of business.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|