Cider Pub Guide to Sussex
The guide to pubs selling Real Cider in Sussex. 13 outlets listed so far...
Cider Pubs in East Sussex
- The Anchor Inn, Anchor Lane, Barcombe, East Sussex, BN8 5NS. Tel: (01273) 400414.
- The Battle of Trafalgar, 34 Guildford Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 3LW. Tel: (01273) 327997.
Opposite Trafalgar Street, near station. Sells Addlestones.
- The Black Lion, 14 Black Lion Street, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1ND. Tel: (01273) 711884.
- Bugle, 24 St. Martins Street, Brighton, East Sussex, BN2 3HJ. Tel: (01273) 607753.
- Caroline of Brunswick, 39 Ditchling Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 4SB. Tel: (01273) 624434.
- Cobblers Thumb, New England Street, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 4GG. Tel: (01273) 605636.
Located at the junction of New England Road amd New England Street. Sells Westons 1st Quality, Westons Perry, Moles Black Rat. £3.30/pt (11/08)
- The Dorset, 28 North Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1YB. Tel: (01273) 605423.
Located on the corner of Gardner Street and North Road, in the heart of the North Laine. Sams medium cider from a polypin. £3.60/pt (7/10).
- The Evening Star, 55 - 56, Surrey Street, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 3PB. Tel: (01273) 328931.
- Lord Nelson, 36 Trafalgar Street, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 4ED. Tel: (01273) 695872.
- The Office, 8 - 9 Sydney Street, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 4EN. Tel: (01273) 609134.
- Prince Albert, 48 Trafalgar Street, Fredrick Place, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 4ED. Tel: (01273) 730499.
- The Quadrant, 12 - 13 Queens Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 3FA. Tel: (01273) 733238.
- The Signalman, 76 Ditchling Rise, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 4QQ. Tel: (01273) 888651.
- The Rainbow Inn, Resting Oak Hill, Cooksbridge, East Sussex, BN8 4SS. Tel: (01273) 400334.
- The Jolly Sportsman Chapel Lane, East Chiltington, East Sussex, BN7 3BA. Tel: (01273) 890400.
- The Eagle, 57 South Street, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21 4UT. Tel: (01323) 722640.
Firle (National collection)
- Middle Farm, Firle, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8 6LJ. Tel: (01323) 811411.
Middle Farm is home to "The National Collection of Cider and Perry" the largest permanent collection of ciders and perries in the UK, and affords visitors a unique opportunity to sample and compare ciders from throughout the country.
photos on Flickr by John Parry
Testimonials: "They must have 100+ polycasks available, all of which can be tasted, plus many, many bottled ciders as well. The "national cider and perry collection" is a self styled title but warranted. I've always enjoyed their Red Rooster "pider" which is locally sourced." JC
"well worth a visit, it does live up to its claims" JP
- The Ram', Firle Village, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8 6NS. Tel: (01273) 858222.
- The Duke of Wellington, 28 High Street, Old Town, Hastings, East Sussex, TN34 3EY. Tel: (01424) 717230.
- Gardners Arms, 46 Cliffe High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2AN. Tel: (01273) 474808.
Located over the bridge from the town centre. Usually has Moles Black Rat.
- Lansdown, 36 Lansdown Place, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2JU. Tel: (01273) 480623.
- Royal Oak, The Street, Poynings, Brighton, East Sussex, BN45 7AQ.Tel: (01273) 857389.
Cider Pubs in West Susex
- The Cider House, Birdham Road, Appledram, nr Chichester, West Sussex, PO20 7EH (01243 779 345)
Restaurant with Appledram ciders available to drink in or take away.
- The Star & Garter, East Dean, Goodwood, West Sussex, PO18 0JG. Tel: (01243) 811318.
Hooksway (nr Chilgrove)
- The Royal Oak, Hooksway, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18 9JZ. Tel:
(01243) 535257. Rural pub tucked away down a single-track lane off the B2141 2 miles NW of Chilgrove. Westons Country Perry. Food £6 - 10. Open 11:30 - 2:30 & 7:30 - 11:00 Tue - Sat, 12:00 - 15:00 only Sun.
- The Malt Shovel, 15 Springfield Road, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 2PG. Tel: (01403) 254543.
Reported by local Camra mag to be stocking two real ciders and a perry. When visited had well-kept Westons Old Rosie and vacant spaces labelled 'Bounds Brand' & 'Country Perry'. Offers basic food - rolls & pizzas. Comfy bare-board alehouse, musac but reasonable quiet. Open 11-23hrs Mon-Sat, 12-23 Suns.
- The Stand Up Inn, 47 High Street, Lindfield, West Sussex, RH16 2HN. Tel: (01444) 482995.
Website Sussex & Surrey CAMRA cider pub of the year 2009. Westons Old Rosie & Country Perry and Moles Black Rat on tap, Gwynt Y Ddraig and other ciders in bottles. Cheaper than many Sussex pubs (Old R. £2.80/pt 1/10). Newpapers, no muzac, no food. On Haywards Heath-East Grindstead bus route 270.
- The White Horse, Park Lane, Maplehurst, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13 6LL. Tel: (01403) 891208.
Location. John Batcheldon's local cider. Lovely unspoiled country pub reigned over by a haughty cat (but dogs also welcome). Good range of beers and good home cooked food. Hard to reach by bus - one every Thur! Closes during the afternoon every day.
- Pulborough Garden Centre Stopham Road, Pulborough. The garden centre is approximately 1.5 miles west of the town on the A283 towards Petworth. It sells most of the Westons range in bottles or gallon jugs (for consumption off the premises only) along with all the usual garden centre offerings. It also has a minature railway open on summer weekends railway info. Located on the Worthing - Midhurst Stagecoach bus route.
Lambs Green (Rusper)
- The Lamb Inn, Lambs Green, Rusper, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 4RG. Tel: (01293) 871336.
- Three Moles Inn, Selham, Petworth, West Sussex, GU28 0PN. Tel: (01798) 861303.
Was reported to stock Burrow Hill, but it is only the fizzy keg veriety.
- Buckingham Arms Brunswick Road, Shoreham by Sea, BN43 5WA
Old Rosie cider. A busy pub open all day next to the station. Website
- ? Duke of Wellington 368 Brighton Rd, Shoreham by Sea, BN43 6RE. Reported to have a real cider, not confirmed.
- Selden Arms, 41 Lyndhurst Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2DB. Tel: (XXXX) XXXXXX. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Maypole, Maypole Lane, Yapton, West Sussex, BN18 0DB. Tel: (01243) 551417.
When last visted in june 2007 had 3 ciders & a perry on sale. B.L.S HANTS
Pubs Delisted from the Sussex cider pub guide
- The Applejohns Cider Bar, Brighton.
Delisted as it closed.
- Fortunes of War Beach Bar, Brighton.
Delisted as no longer has Westons.
- Horse and Groom, Islingword Road, Brighton.
Delisted as it closed.
- Tullens Fruit Farm Finest Quality British Apples at Farm Shop prices - English apples, organic lamb and apple juice at Farm Shop in Sussex.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|