Cider Pub Guide to the Lake District
The Real Cider pub guide to the Lake District, including Cumbria. 21 pubs so far...
- Manor Arms, The Square, Broughton-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA20 6HY. Tel: (01229) 716286.
- The Prince of Wales, Foxfield, Broughton-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA20 6BX. Tel: (01229) 716238.
Roadside real ale pub, home of the Foxfield Brewery with four or five real ales from small breweries. Always has real cider, either in polypin or plastic keg. Todays choice of two was "Crones Organic", and "Dyken Cider Pure Crab", the latter was made a few hundred yards from the pub in a small-scale operation using 100% crab apples. Apparently its founded by a a grant from "CAPRA" - some kind of apple and pear research group. Note pub is closed Monday/Tuesday (the Good Beer Guide has got it wrong). Best public transport is by train from Barrow: the pub is directly opposite Foxfield station. Google Map Holds an annual cider in July. October 2010: The Prince of Wales was crowned Joint winner of 2010 CAMRA National Cider Pub of the Year. Stuart Johnson, licensee of the Prince of Wales, said, "We are amazed that a pub in Cumbria has won this national award for real cider and perry. Both real cider and real perry play a major role in the success of our pub"
Review 1: Todays choice was Thatchers Dry & Weston's Herefordshire Perry. They have in recent months been selling their own home-brewed cider (The Foxfield Brewery is located at the pub) and the last of the locally produced Dyken. It seems Dyken now wont be available for a while as the 2008 fermentation went wrong and was abandoned. 1/10/2009.
- Woodrow Wilson, 48 Botchergate, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1 1QS. Tel: (01228) 819942.
- Brook, 93 Trumpet Terrace, Cleator, Cumbria, CA23 3DX. Tel: (01946) 811635.
5th handpump is dedicated to real cider, normally Westons.
- Black Bull, Coniston, Cumbria.
Had Gwent y Draig Black Dragon cider on tap in April 2014. Busy dog-friendly pub, food is good but a bit pricy.
Dalton in Furness
- Black Dog Inn, Broughton Road, Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15 8JP. Tel: (01229) 462561.
According to the local Lindal & Marton village website there are four to six real ales available, plus real ciders on tap from the cellar.
- The George & Dragon Hotel, Main Street, Dent, Cumbria, LA10 5QL. Tel: (01539) 625256
Brewery tap of the Dent Brewery. Sells Weston's Old Rosie alongside the full range of Dent Brewery beers. Tradtional village pub with two bars. food lunchtimes & evenings. Google map If thinking of arriving by public transport, note that Dent railway station (on the Settle & Carlisle line) is four miles from the village.
- Tweedies Bar, Grasmere, Lake District, Cumbria, LA22 9SW. Tel: 015394 35300.
Westons cider/perry. Part of the Dale Lodge Hotel
- Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel, Great Langdale, Cumbria, LA22 9JY. Tel: (01539) 437272.
A basic walker's bar on the side of this renowned hotel in a stunning setting, selling Old Rosie as well as a wide range of real ales and whiskies. The Cumberland sausage is recommended too! Camping at the Popular National Trust site across the road. Justin Petty
Hesket New Market
Northern lakes nr Caldbeck
- The Old Crown, Hesket Newmarket, Cumbria, CA7 9JG. Tel: (01697) 478288.
Very famous having pioneering "Hesket new Market brewery" just behind. Award winning real ales, and "Cockrobin Happy Apple Cider" cider not advertised.
- The Watermill at INGS, Staveley, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 9PY. Tel: (01539) 821309.
Often has Westons cider. Good food. Popular, listed on CAMRA. Live music, storytelling etc.
Northern lakes nr Keswick
- The Lion, The Square, Ireby, Wigton, Cumbria, CA7 1EA. Tel: (01697) 371460.
Lovely small traditional Inn, Superb home made locally sourced food, superb local Real ales and "Cockrobin Happy Apple Cider"
- Burgundys Wine Bar, 19 Lowther Street, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 4DH. Tel: (01539) 733803.
Cider varies, often Old Rosie.
- Miles Thompson, Allhallows Lane, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 4JH. Tel: (01539) 815710.
- Booths Supermarket, Wainwrights Yard,, Kendal, LCumbria, A9 4DP. Tel: (01539) 742370.
Usually stock Dunkerton's in bottles, Cornish Orchards (Black and Gold and St Cubys) as well a selection of other bottled real cider and perry. Note: Booth's has moved to a new location in Kendal, just off Highgate. - Paul Gunningham
The offy in Kendal is called Beers in Particular and is next door to the DELISTED Kendal Bowman pub (151 Highgate): They usually have a couple of ciders on draught, Westons, Thatchers etc. John Mulholland. Sadly closed for re-development as of November 2006.
- Booth's Supermarket, Tithebarn Street, Keswick, Cumbria, CA12 5WA. Tel: (01768) 773518.
Not sure why no-one's mentioned the Keswick branch so here goes, the Keswick branch (like all other Booth's branches) has a wide range of bottled ciders including the Sheppy's range - Paul Gunningham.
- The Orange Tree Hotel, Fairbank, Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria, LA6 2BD. Tel: (015242) 71716.
Small traditional market-town pub close to the parish church. Brewery Tap of the Kirkby Lonsdale Brewery. Alternates Westons Old Rosie and Vintage Organic through a dedicated handpump, alongside four or five real ales (mainly their own brews) Google Map.
- The George Hotel, Front Street, Orton, Penrith, Cumbria, CA10 3JR. Tel: (01539) 624229.
Pleasant inn in little village where, according to the bar staff, they often have "a barrel of cider" behind the bar (though sadly not on our visit). Lovely hot beef roll though!
- The Eagle & Child, Kendal Road, Staveley, Cumbria, LA8 9LP. Tel: (01539) 821320.
Friendly GBG-listed pub has three draught ciders from the Weston's range, including Old Rosie and Organic Vintage. As you might expect, it has an interesting range of real ales too, does good food, has accommodation, a real fire, and there's an idyllic riverside beer (or cider!) garden, it also has regular beer festivals featuring Cumbrian cider. Paul Gunningham Westons and guest cider behind bar but you have to ask for it, it's not advertised, so to keep the yoof's away!!
12/09/2010 - Choice was Westons Old Rosie, Traditional, & 1st Quality, along with Keith Goverd's "Medium" & Dabinett Sweet. No pumps on the bar - the staff get it from the cellar on request. Only evidence that its available is a small blackboard behind the bar with the days available range on. I had the Goverd Medium - absolutely excellent, smokey / oaky taste, very similar to Westons "Organic Vintage"
- Wasdale Head Inn, Wasdale Head, Seascale, Cumbria, CA20 1EX. Tel: (01946) 726229.
Has Westons Family Reserve. Good food in hikers portions served 12 - 8. Has a camping site attached. This pub was a very welcome break after crossing Black Sail Pass on foot, and it is the nearest pub to Scafell Pike, England's highest mountain.
- Bransty Arch, Bransty Arch Row, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7XE. Tel: (01946) 517640.
Not half bad Wetherspoon with the usual range. Situated in a converted bus station (close to the railway station and waterfront).
- Candlestick, 22 Tangier Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7UX. Tel: (01946) 599032.
- Taylors Tavern, Tangier Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7UX. Tel: (01964) XXXXXX.
- Three Tuns, Catherine Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 8XE. Tel: (01964) XXXXXX.
- Booths Supermarket, The Old Station, Victoria Street, Windermere, Cumbria, LA23 1QA. Tel: (01539) 446114.
Usually stock Dunkerton's in bottles, as well a selection of other bottled real ciders and perry. [Addition 2/4/6: Includes what seems like the full Sheppy's range, plus a lot of others too numerous to remember, let alone mention! If they can do it, why can't the big chains?! - Paul Gunningham
- Henry Bessemer, New Oxford St, Workington, Cumbria, CA14 2NA. Tel: (01900) 734650.
A JDW pub, you know what to expect!
Pubs Delisted from the Cider Pub Guide to the Lake District
- The Engine Inn, Station Road, Cark in Cartmel, Grange Over Sands, Cumbria, LA11 7NZ. Tel: (01539) 558341.
17th Century village pub offering a choice of local and national real ales, but only Addlestones.
- Ship Inn.
- Kirkstile Inn, Loweswater.
Delisted as no longer selling real cider due to bar space! landlord wanted greater beer range, so cider went.
- The Woolpack Inn, Boot, Eskdale, Cumbria, CA19 1TH. Tel: (01946) 723230.
Delisted after a change of pub ownership -meaning no real cider on sale. May have Westons.
- The Drunken Duck, Barngates, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 0NG. Tel: (01539) 436347. Fax: (01539) 436781.
Delisted as the only cider available now is Aspalls Suffolk Cyder, dispensed from a tall pressure font, though seemingly at low pressure.
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the pubs, and update the site with any changes.|