Nurseries for Cider Apple and Perry Pear Trees
How to Order and Buy Cider Apple and Perry Pear trees
Buying cider and perry varieties from a nursery is not like buying from your local garden centre. Deliveries are usually sent out from November through to March, so you need to plan ahead.
Make sure you allow plenty of time for your requirements to be prepared, particularly if you require anything which is a little exotic, unusual or out-of-the-ordinary... The latter may involve grafting and planting out, which could mean a delay of some months.
Contact the nurseries to discuss your requirements and to get some idea of the time scale involved.
A selection of nurseries that carry a range of cider apple and/or perry pear trees.
- Adam's Apples, Adams Apples,Talaton Plants Egremont Barn Payhembury Honiton EX14 3JA 01404 841166
A large selection of cider apple trees available, more than 30 varieties as bare rooted maidens.Many popular varieties Kingston Black,Dabinet,Yarlington Mill, Browns, Foxwhelp, Court Royal and many others, some new modern high yielding varieties .Most on MM106 and M25 rootstock . Free catalogue 01404 841166. "reasonably priced"
- Agroforestry Research Trust, A few cider varieties on M26 or MM106. Mail order throughout Europe.
- Ashridge Trees Cider Apples, Ashridge Trees, Grove Cross Barn, Castle Cary, Somerset BA7 7NJ tel 01963 359444
A tremendous range of cider, eating and cooking apple trees available bare rooted, with popular varieties potted during summer, as maidens, cordons, bushes and half standards. Mainly MM106 rootstocks. Solid background info on most trees, including some history. There is plenty of other fruit trees & bushes there too and all the bare rooted ones are guaranteed for their first summer. Online ordering and delivery across the UK.
- Bernwode Plants, near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.
A huge collection of young fruit trees. Many of these are rare varieties grafted from cuttings given or sought out, so that traditional varieties can be preserved. Not only apples and pears, but quinces, plums and gages, cherries, nectarines, mulberries, medlars, currants, grapes and hazels. Well worth having is their catalogue, which lists an enormous number of different apple varieties with full details of their history, uses (whether culinary, dessert or cider), pollination group, flowering and cropping times, and much more.
- Chris Bowers & Sons, Whispering Trees Nurseries, Wimbotsham, Norfolk, PE34 3QB Telephone: 01366 388752 Fax: 01366 386858 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
5 cider varieties and two perry pears.
- Brogdale Horticultural Trust Brogdale Road, Faversham, Kent. ME13 8XZ (01795 535286 or 01795 535462) (Fax:01795 531710) Email: email@example.com
Home of the National Fruit Collections. Some rare and interesting varieties, and sales of a varied range of cider and perry trees.
- Deacon's Nursery Godshill, Isle of Wight. PO38 3HW (01983 840750 or 01983 522243) (Fax:01983 523575) email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deacon's sell a wide range of fruit trees which includes a good range of cider and perry varieties on a range of rootstocks. They produce a comprehensive catalogue, available on request and will deliver nationally. Deacon's catalogue contains more information about products than many specialist magazines.
- Mr J Dennis
Kerian,Corkscrew Lane,Woolston , Nr. North Cadbury , Somerset, BA22 7BP (01963) 441101
Many varieties and 4-5 year old trees not just maidens. Open by appt. only. Mail Order available.
- Eden Point Nurseries, Preston, Lancashire.
Bare root Kingston Black, Black Dabinett, Yarlington Mill...
- John Turner Hereford Ltd The Hill, Kings Pyon, Herefordshire. HR4 8PX (01432 830 223/07971 963 193 & email email@example.com)
Herefordshire cider fruit grower and tree supplier.
- Keepers Nursery Gallants Court, East Farleigh, Maidstone, Kent. ME15 0LE (01622 726465) (Fax: 0870 705 2145)
The most informative web site for advice about which tree to plant. They can supply almost any known apple tree. Good range of cider apple trees.
- Kerian Corkscrew Lane, Woolston, Nr North Cadbury, Somerset. BA22 7BP (01963 441101)
Good range of cider apple trees grown on M25 (some available on MM106). Also Eaters/Cookers/Juicers and some pear including perry. Can be delivered in Devon/Dorset/Somerset.
- Lodge Farm Trees, Rob Watkins, Lodge Farm, Rockhampton, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, GL13 9DY. Tel: 01454 260310, Fax: 01454 260530
Specialist in Gloucestershire varieties of apple and pear, including many cider and perry varieties.
- Ornamental Tree Nurseries, Cobnash, Kingsland, Herefordshire HR6 9QZ (01568 708016) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scott's of Merriott Scotts Nurseries (Merriott) Ltd, Merriott, Somerset. TA16 5PL
One of the oldest nurseries, now closed. A good range of its cider apple trees have been taken on by other nurseries in and out of Somerset.
- Thornhayes Nursery Dulford, Cullompton, Devon. EX15 2DF (01884 266746) (Fax:01884 266739) email:email@example.com
One of the larger nurseries with a comprehensive on-line catalogue as well as the choice of a postal one. National delivery is available.
- Welsh Mountain Orchards High altitude Apple and Pear tree Nursery. Over 250 varieties of cider apples and perry pears grafted and grown on certified U.K. rootstocks without the use of pesticides or artificial fertilisers for hardy vigour. Extensive range of Welsh, Hereford and West Country perry, cider, dessert and culinary trees, and years of experience of making cider with the fruit. Prospect Orchard, Prospect, Newchapel, Llanidloes, Powys, SY18 6JY. Tel.07790071729 or 01686411277. Producers of award winning Welsh Ciderand over 400 varieties of heritage apple and pear trees.
- Wibble Farm Nurseries, West Quantoxhead, Taunton, Somerset, TA4 4DD (01984 632 303) mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
A dozen quality cider apple varieties, though I can't see what rootstock options there are. see here for list.
- Some more Nurseries in England and Wales at the following link ...
General Apple and Pear trees
While the above specialist nurseries also sell dessert and culinary apples and pears, the following nurseries may also prove useful sources of fruit trees and information.
- Bernwode Plants, Kingswood Lane, Ludgershall, Buckinghamshire, HP18 9RB (01844 237415) (Fax:01844 238920) email:email@example.com
Large number of apple varieties available for collection, or national delivery available.
- Buckingham Nurseries Tingewick Road, Buckingham. MK18 4AE (01280 822133) (Fax:01280 815491) email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't be put off by the 'hedging' reference. Wide range of fruit trees including Tom Putt and Dabinett cider varieties. Useful on-line catalogue with lots of helpful information.
A small nursery on the banks of the River Lugar, 10 miles inland from Ayr, Scotland with aims:
- To encourage the planting of fruit trees in more difficult parts of Britain, i.e. the North, West and higher altitudes.
- To encourage organic and biodynamic production.
- Crown Nursery High Street, Ufford, Suffolk. IP13 6EL (01394 460755)
Mostly Dessert and Culinary fruit but Herefordshire Redstreak, Kingston Black, and Tom Putt are listed. Wide range of rootstocks and forms, though mail order only available on Maiden Whips.
Lots of useful information to help plan, plant and maintain an orchard (whatever size), plus addresses and contact details for nurseries.
- Food futures
A website which is part of the Grow Your Own Food Campaign. One page has lots of contact details and links for nurseries some of which are in the north of the uk.
- Habitat Aid Ltd. The Old Rectory, Lamyatt, Somerset BA4 6NH tel 01749 812775 A wide range of traditional bare root orchard trees. Their selection includes cider apples and perry pears.
- Herons Folly Garden, Fletching Street, Mayfield, East Sussex, TN20 6TE. (01435 873608) Email: email@example.com
Wide range of Dessert, Culinary, and Dual Purpose apple varieties, available on M9, M26, MM106, and MM111. Mail order available
- Irish Seed Savers Capparoe, Scariff, Co Clare, Ireland. tel: 00 353 61 921866 / fax:00 353 61 921397 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
'The ISSA is a voluntary organisation dedicated to the location and preservation of traditional varieties of fruit and vegetables.' Online catalogue of Apple trees and information here, which includes a few Irish cider varieties.
- R. V. Roger Ltd The Nurseries, Pickering, North Yorkshire. YO18 7JW (01751 472226) email:email@example.com
A good range of hardy varieties and handy for those living in the northern parts of the uk.
- Fruit Trees and Nut Trees From Victoriana Nursery Gardens, Challock, Nr Ashford, Kent. TN25 4DG (01233 740529)
A diverse range of fruit trees for sale online supplied as either potted or bare root trees. Advice and information on growing tree fruit and nut trees; Ellis' Bitter, Tremlett's Bitter and Yarlington Mill available on M25.
Q. Anyone know where to buy, or how to grow rootstock with known properties? I can't see prices for rootstock on any of the nursery sites I've looked at so far.
- Frank P Matthews Ltd
- Berrington Court, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, WR15 8TH
- 01584 810214
supplies Thornhayes and others, and does mail order. There is a website - www.fruit-tree.co.uk - of the most minimal sort, so for range, prices etc. you really need firstname.lastname@example.org or www.fruit-tree.co.uk/contactus.html.
To grow your own you need the right rootstock, then to propagate it by layering.
In 2004 Rose bought some M25 rootstocks from Deacon's Nursery, Isle of Wight (see above). At that time they were priced at £9.50 for 5 or £17.50 for 10.
A http://www.blackmoor.co.uk have MM106 and 26 rootstocks for £2 each, always found them very good. Another way of making your own stocks would be to dig out and plant a bit of root from a tree. This wouldn't harm the tree, they used to root prune regularly to restrict growth
The MM106 rootstock will do anything you could ask of it except make a 20 foot standard, I would go for this stock every time. If you want a really big one, Deacons or Scotts of Merriot should be able to help
A Sadly, John Wallis of Scott's Nursery, Merriott, died at the age of 49 in July, 2009. Scott's, which had been in difficulties for some time, has now ceased trading altogether.
A We can supply small quantities of rootstocks MM106 M25 please e-mail email@example.com or visit www.adamsappletrees.co.uk
Cider Apple Tree Suppliers in the United States
This list of cider apple tree supply nurseries in the US was put together by a knowledgeable friend of Andrew Lea.
18 Glass Factory Bay Road
Geneva, New York 14456
Trees of Antiquity
20 Wellsona Road
Paso Robles, CA 93446
Phone: (805) 467-9909
391 Butts Road
Morton, Washington 98356
Big Horse Creek Farm
P.O. Box 70
Lansing, NC 28643
5060 West Lake Road,
Canandaigua, NY 14424-8904
Vintage Virginia Apples
2550 Rural Ridge Lane
North Garden, VA 22959.
Bay Laurel Nursery http://www.baylaurelnursery.com California
Boyer Nurseries & Orchard http://www.boyernurseries.com Pennsylvania
Cloud Mountain Farm http://www.cloudmountainfarm.com Washington
Edible Forest Nursery http://www.edibleforestnursery.com Wisconsin
Fedco Trees http://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees.htm Maine
Greenmantle Nursery http://www.grenmantlenursery.com California
Lawson's Nursery (phone 770-893-2141) Georgia
Henry Leuthardt Nurseries Inc http://www.henryleuthardtnurseries.com New York
One Green World http://www.onegreenworld.com Oregon
St. Lawrence Nurseries http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us New York