Oliver's Cider & Perry
Cider and perry has been produced by Oliver's for at least three centuries. These days, it is run by Tom Oliver who has had to start some of the operation from scratch after his grandfather decided with the arrival of mechanization that it was unsafe and the move away from horse and man power meant less need for refreshment on the job. Their old stone mill decayed and other equipment was sold, given away or fell into disrepair.
The fresh, unsprayed pears and apples are picked, sometimes stored to mature further, then washed, milled and, whenever necessary, macerated. Then they are pressed and fermented by wild yeasts and aged in old oak barrels for up to 10 months, before being blended.
Oliver's recently picked up a few prizes at the Three Counties Show including Best in show, Best in Herefordshire and two first prizes for medium cider and for bottle-fermented cider. He also won Silver in the Fifth annual Great Lakes International Cider & Perry in 2009.
When Tom isn't busy making cider and perry or winning awards for his produce, he's on tour or managing bands like The Proclaimers and Everything But the Girl!
- Bottle Conditioned Cider-Naturally Sparkling and Dry (5.4%)
- Bottle Conditioned Cider-Naturally Sparkling and Medium (5.0%)
- Dabinett-Single Varietal Dry Still Cider (8.8%)
- Vintage 2007-Medium, Sparkling Cider (6.5%)
- Shezam-Medium Dry, Sparkling Cider (50cl)(6.%)
- Making Hay-A Sweet Sparkling Cider (50cl)(6%)
- Bottle Conditioned Perry-Naturally Sparkling and Dry (5.4%)
- Bottle Conditioned Perry-Naturally Sparkling and Medium (4.5%)
- Three Counties Fine Dry Still Perry (50cl) (5.7%)
- Three Counties Medium Dry Still Perry (6.0%)
- Blakeney Red-Single Varietal Dry Still Perry (5.7%)
- Blakeney Red-Single Varietal Medium Sweet Still Perry (5.7%)
- Classic Perry-Medium Sweet Sparkling Perry(50cl) (6.4%)
- Real Herefordshire Draught Cider (6.5%) Dry or Medium Dry in 20 litre Bag in Box
- Real Herefordshire Draught Perry (6.5%) Dry or Med Dry in 20 litre Bag in Box
Sold by the case of six or twelve bottles or bag in box. Flat rate delivery of £6.00 per case/box from the Oliver's website or you can visit on Saturdays 10.00am to 4.00pm.
- Address: Moorhouse Farm, Ocle Pychard, Herefordshire, HR1 3QZ.
- Tel: (01432) 820569.