Past cider producers
Sadly there comes a time when cider and perry producers cease production forever. This could be because of retirement or takeover, lack of anybody to take over the business, ill health or any number of reasons. This page documents large and small cider producers from the past, an archive of brand names deleted from the current Regional Producers section.
- B and T, The Brewery, Shefford, Bedfordshire. Tel: (01462) 815080.
- Westbury, Lower Henwick Farm, Turnpike Road, Thatcham, Newbury, Berkshire. Tel: (01635) 860760.
No longer produce cider, but are apparantly still open for other items.
- Little Foxes Cider, Little Foxes, Fox Road, Balsham, Cambridge, Cambridgshire, CB1 6EZ. Tel: (01223) 894502.
No longer making cider.
- Veryan Cyder Co, Tregenna, Portloe, Truro, Cornwall, TR2 5PS. Tel: (01872) 501404
Veryan Cyder Co ceased trading several year ago (spoke to owner August '08). They still have cyder apple trees which are used to make cider by Cornish Orchards, apparently to the same recipe.
- Cock Robin Cider, The Beeches, Kingside Hill, Wigston, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA7 4PN. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 07989 592566.
Cumbria's first real cider producer launched in the summer of 2005. Cider was made from Herefordshire cider fruit pressed in Cumbria, aged with oak with a bottling hall and pressing shed operational on the airfield at Silloth. Rumours said that keg versions (cider under gas) had been seen and that the owner (Robin) had been reported in local newspaper as bankrupt. The two websites "www.cockrobin.org" and "www.cockrobin-cider.co.uk" are now defunct.
- Lakeland Cider, Masons Arms, Strawberry Bank, Cartmel Fell, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, LA11 6NW. Tel: (01539) 568686.
No longer making cider, but pub is still open.
- Toritona Cider, Great Torrington, Devon, EX38.
Stopped producing cider in the early 2000s.
- Snell's Farm Cider, Styles Barton Farm, Whitestone, Nr. Exeter, Devon. Tel: (01392) 811280.
Another one that has recently given up on production, which is a shame as it was said this cider was well worth the effort of getting, being one of the best and most flavoursome of the older style ciders and at a very reasonable price. The farm is located about three miles west of Exeter city centre, north of the A30 on the old Exeter to Okehampton road. If travelling on the new A30, take the turn at the east end of Tedburn St Mary, go to Tedburn and take the right turn at the east end of the village. Following this road for three miles brings you to Whitestone. Styles Barton Farm is at the extreme east end of the village on the north side of the road (Map ref 878935).
- Clark's Farmhouse Cider, Shortridge Hill, Seven Crosses, Tiverton, Devon, EX16 8HH. Tel: (01884) 252632.
- Bromel's Devon Farm Cider, Lower Uppacot Farm, Tedburn St Mary, Exeter, Devon. Tel: (01647) 61294.
Have just spoken to the farm owner and it would appear they are no longer in business. About 6 miles west of Exeter just off the A30. At the east end of Tedburn, fork left, then 400 yards on the right. (Map ref 822943) Had a good standard cider, sometimes slightly acetic and always full of character.
- Churchward's Cider, Yalbeton Farm, Paignton, Devon, Tel: (01803) 558157.
Closed. Comment: "I had this in a pub in Stokeinteignhead. Although said to be a prize-winning cider, it seemed to me a bit bland compared with other ciders from the area, although with no odd flavours."
- Lower Whiddon Farm Ashburton, Devon. Tel: (01364) 652840.
- Saul's Farmhouse Cider and Apple Juice, Wembworthy, Chulmleigh, Devon. Tel: (01769) 580750.
Reported in December 2005 that this former producer is no longer making Cider. Cider and apple juice were made from selected blends of local apples. Taw valley wines were also available, along with Saul's Honey and they did an orchard and vineyard tour by arrangement. Opened Mon - Sat 10am - 5pm.
- Teignhead Farm Cider, Higher Farm, Stokeinteignhead, Newton Abbot, Devon. Tel: (01626) 873394.
- Stancombe Cyder, Stancombe Farm, Sherford, near Kingsbridge, South Devon. Tel: (01548) 531634.
Three miles east of Kingsbridge on the A379, at Frogmore, turn left to Sherford. Half a mile beyond Sherford, turn right at Stancombe Cross. Stancombe Farm is a few hundred yards on the right hand side (Map ref 782452). The cider here is one of the best but is expensive. Teas and other purchases available. The cider was said to be temporarily unavailable in September 2002, but it was thought that it should be available again in late 2002 or 2003. However it was confirmed in October 2007 that they were no longer producing.
- Home House Cider, Home House, Combeinteignhead, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 4RE. Tel: (01626) 872591.
- Abbeygate Cider, Abbeygate Farm, Musbury Road, Axminster, Devon. Tel: (01297) 33541.
Closed when cider maker retired.
- Inch's Cider, Western Barn, Hatherleigh Road, Winkleigh, North Devon, EX19 8AP. Tel: (01837) 835560.
Inch's business taken over by Bulmer's, but cidermaking was resumed on the same land by Winkleigh Cider. Made sweet, medium and dry "traditional" ciders. Also Pipkin Vintage, Harvest Waeshal and Stonehouse.
- Bromell's Devon Farm Cider, Lower Uppercott, Tedburn St. Mary, Exeter, Devon, EX6 6AZ. Tel: (01647) 61294.
- Pippinfield Cider, Pippinfield, Harepath Hill, Seaton, Devon. Tel: (01297) 20597.
- Waltham Cider, Manor Farm, Purse Caundle, Sherborne, Dorset, DT9 5QY. Tel: (01963) 250239.
John Waltham used to make cider back in 2000, but now sadly closed.
- Mill House Cider, Millhouse Nurseries, Owermoigne, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 8HZ. Tel: (01305) 852220. Email: email@example.com
No longer produce their own cider, but there is a cider museum and cider is sold from their shop including cider by: Purbeck Cider Company, Cider By Rosie, Bridle's Cider, Perrys Cider, Lyne Down, Burrow Hill cider, Ashridge Cider, Culeaze Lodge, Bridge Farm, Dorset Cider Co, Tutts Clump, Lyme Bay, Dorset Nectar, also a range of wines and apple drinks. Cider-making equipment is also kept and they host "cidermaking" days.
- Harechurch Hill Cider & Perry, White Lodge, Springfields, Drybrook, Gloucestershire, GL17 9BW. Tel: (01594) 541738.
Steve has sold all his equipment and is no longer making cider.
- Cullimore's Genuine Farmhouse Cider, Berkeley Heath Farm, Berkeley, Gloucestershire. Tel: (01453) 810220.
- Bland's Cider, Heneage Farm, Moorslade Lane, Falfield, Gloucestershire, GL12 8DJ. Tel: (01454) 260019 (sales) or 01453 811004 (Vernon Bland, cidermaker)
Closed and sold equipment in 1991. Family belived to be making cider in France. See here.
- Cowhill Cider, Fishermans Cottage, Cowhill, Thornbury, Bristol, South Gloucestershire, BS12 1QJ. Tel: (01454) 412152.
- Swamp Donkey Cider, The Old Granary, Inadown Farm, Newton Valence, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 3RR. Tel: (01420) 587083. E-mail: SwampDonkeyCider@aol.com
- Royal Oak Cider, Royal Oak Hotel, The Southend, Ledbury, Herefordshire, HR8 2EY. Tel: (01531) 632110.
A hotel which used to make cider. The hotel is still open.
- Ballard's, Colwall, Herefordshire. Tel: (01684) 540142.
Isle of Wight
- White Monk Cider, 121 Gillscliff Road, Ventnor, Isle of Wight, PO38 1AD. Tel: (01983) 855672.
- Hackney Cider, Hackney, London. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Theobolds Cider, A. Riccini & Sons, Heronsgate Farm, Stourmouth, Canterbury, Kent, CT3 1HZ. Tel: (01227) 722275.
- Owlet Cider, Owl House Fruit Farm, Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3 8LY. Tel: (01892) 890553.
Farm was taken over in 1985 when the owners began producing a small amount of cider using a blend of West country cider apples and their own Cox's Orange Pippin. However, at the time, they realised the demand for fresh pressed apple juice exceeded that for cider and began concentrating solely on fruit juice production in order to finance the replanting of their orchards in 1990.
- Sepham Farm Cider, Tilston Lane, Shoreham, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN14 5JT. Tel: (01959) 522774.
- Reedcutter, Ranworth Farms Ltd, The Old House, Ranworth Broad, Norwich, NR13 6HS. Tel: (01603) 270722.
No longer makes their own cider, but supplying apples elsewhere.
- Franklin's Natural Cider and Perry, The Cliffs, Little Hereford, Nr. Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8 4LW. Tel: (01584) 810488.
Closed and now supplies apples to Bulmers.
- Black Mac Cider, John McGrouther, Pippin, The Orchards, Stembridge, Martock, Somerset. Tel: (01460) 241736.
Traditionally made cider from unsprayed orchards and sold from the door by arrangement. Map ref 424199. Directions: In Stembridge, opposite the school, about 300 yards south of the Rusty Axe pub. Organic cider - even the straw on which the apples are pressed is organic. The result is very tasty and worth seeking out. It is only about half a mile from Burrow Hill cider. The orchard contains some 300 trees and a 150 year old twin screw press is/was on site, but as of early June 2007 cider was no longer produced. Rising costs and lack of time were the reasons cited for the closure.
- Stott's Superb Cider, Shotts Farm, Wookey, Wells, Somerset. Tel: (01749) 674731 or (01749) 673323.
- Bagborough Strong Cider, Steve Brooksbank, Bagborough Vineyard, Pylle, Shepton Mallet, Somerset. Tel: (01749) 831146.
Steve has not made cider for a number of years - confirmed by a telephone call.
- Richard's Cider, The Corner Cottage, Smallway, Congresbury, Somerset, BS19 5HN. Tel: (01934) 833158.
Closed and taken over by Thatchers.
- Indian Herbs, Kingdown House, Priddy, Wells, Somerset, BA5 3BR. Tel: (01749) 870603.
- Headford Ridge, Headford Farm, Merridge, Bridgwater, Somerset, TA5 1BA. Tel: (01278) 671800.
Traditional Medium Dry cider was sold in amber 330ml bottles and available at the Sanctuary restaurant in Taunton and often in supermarkets nationally. However, Headford Ridge no longer make Cider, this was confirmed by a phone call in January 2009.
- Whitehead's Cider, Tootle Bridge Farm, Barton St. David, Somerton, Somerset. Tel: (01458) 50220
- Coombes Traditional Farmhouse Cider, Japonica Farm, Mark Causeway, Highbridge, somerset, TA9 4QD.
Chris was the third generation to make cider here and the cider was matured in oak vats. They produced Dry, Medium and Sweet Cider, as well as an extra strong Kingston Black, a Draught Perry and a bottled Sparkling Perry. Also on sale were apple juice, cheeses, country wines and cider vinegar. The museum included rare cider making machinery made in Mark as well as a 20 minute cider making video. No cider has been made since 2002/03, but Japonica Farm is used as a caravan/camping site which is open Easter to October, all with electric hookups.
- Higher Farm Ltd, Higher Farm, Hornblotton, Somerset. Tel: (01963) 240350.
A former small producer which used to sell boxes and bottles via eBay. This business sold up some time ago - definitely not there any more. Former website "www.higherfarmltd.com/index.html" is now defunct, and their former eBay shop at "stores.ebay.co.uk/Higher-Farm-Ltd" no longer exists.
- Dennings, Mudford, Somerset.
Dennings were a traditional farmhouse Somerset Cider maker but no longer make themselves - their equipment has been sold - mainly to Bridge Farm who make some cider for them. Apparently amused and surprised to win a third in a CAMRA competition recently - presumably a wholesaler must have entered it for them - a member of the family commented about the award "It must be something to do with the way we store it!"
- Lane's Cider, Gary Lane, Overton, West Monkton, Taunton, Somerset. Tel: (01823) 412345.
A combination of Lane's Cider and Kingston Vale Cider, Gary Lane produced "Lane's Traditional Draught", "Golden Rutter" and "Bonking Billy". He has 20 acres of orchard and has over 70 outlets in the south west. He now hopes to produce a single variety Kingston Black cider. Directions: West Monkton is just north of Taunton off the Bridgwater Road. Farm gate sales only by prior arrangement. Minimum 5 gallons. Please phone first. August 2008: No longer in operation???? As an infrequent, but regular customer of some 20 years, I called in advance as I usually do prior to a trip past Taunton and was told that Gary Lane no longer lives there, has moved to Spain and that there is no longer cider available from West Monkton. Websearches have not thus far produced any further information/explanation. (Jemtheflute.) A sad loss!
- Ashwood Cider and Perry, Ashwood, Shipham Hill, Cheddar, Somerset. Tel: (01934) 742393.
- Old Cove Cider, Wrentham, Suffolk. Tel: (01502) 675692.
- Hunt, Sharewood Farm, Sedlescombe, East Sussex. Tel: (01424) 870567.
- Gibbon Strangler, Ridgeway, Peamarsh, Rye, East Sussex, TN31 6XH. Tel: (01797) 230094.
- Battle Vintage Cyder, Garnett Brothers, Oaklands Farm, Moat Lane, Sedlescombe, East Sussex, TN33 0RY. Tel: (01424) 751680.
- Pitman Cider, Southcot Manor, Southcot, Pewsey, Wiltshire, SN5 5JF. Tel: (01672) 562991.
No longer make their own cider, but supplying apples elsewhere.
- Broadway Cider, Arnold's Wine Merchants, 99 High Street, Broadway, WR12 7AL.
Cider was made on the premises of this traditional wine merchants in the picture postcard village of Broadway. The owner has several acres of old orchard which includes many cider varieties such as Somerset Redsteak and Villberie, plus a few old perry pear trees. The cider was bottled when required, still, dry and with a distinctly woody flavour.
- Grafton Field Cider, Bockleton, nr Tenbury Wells, WR15 8PT. Tel: (01568) 750638.
No longer producing.
- Taycider, A Bothy, Lynton Farm, Stanley, Perthshire, PH1 4QQ.
- Towy Valley, Llwynhaf Farm, Llanddarog Road, Carmarthen, Dyfed, SA32 8AR. Tel: (01267) 275509.
- Haywards Cider and Perry Co., Fferm Bryn Cul, Tregarth, Gwynedd, LL57 4AE. Tel: (01286) 880195.