Producers in Gloucestershire
21 cider and perry producers listed so far...
- Severn Cider, Tom Bull, The Old Vicarage, Awre, Newnham, Gloucestershire, GL14 1EL. Tel: (01594) 510282.
Re-introduced a bottled sparkling cider (look for the red fruit on the label) in November 2006, slightly sweeter and lighter than their award-winning blended still medium cider. New season ciders and perries also available soon. See website for details of products and outlets.
- Cadogan Cider & Perry, Northington Farm, Awre, Newnham, Gloucestershire, GL14 1EP. Tel: (01594) 517130.
Cider and perry made from the fruit of unsprayed standard orchards on the banks of the Severn. All cider and perry is bottled.
- Bristol Ciderworks, Bristol, Gloucestershire. Tel: (0117) 9521360 or 07713 173825. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cider company producing dry, sparkling cider 6%. Made from local hand picked apples, 100% natural with no additives. Suppliers of pubs, bars and shops in Bristol. Website to be added soon.
- Days Cottage, Dave Kaspar, Day's Cottage Cider and Perry, Upton Lane, Brookthorpe, Gloucestershire, GL4 OUT. Tel: (01452) 813602.
- Orchard's Cider & Perry, Keith Orchard, Orchard’s Cider and Perry Co. Brockweir, Gloucestershire. Tel: (01291) 689536.
Really good, although I didn't try a lot. He had good perries, in particular a Blakeney Red. See website for details of cider and perrys, outlets etc.
- Prinknash Abbey, Cranham, Gloucestershire, GL4 8EX. Tel: (01452) 812455.
A very good cider is available to buy from the tea room and gift shop at the abbey (pronounced Prinish!) Perry is also made, but is generally not for sale, although it occasionaly appears at festivals courtesy of wholesalers. See the musical [http://www.davidsemporium.co.uk/Prinknash/ website] for details of opening hours etc.
- Brain's Cider, The Orchards, Edge Hills, Littledean, Cinderford, Gloucestershire, GL14 3LQ. Tel: (01594) 822416.
- Ray Tosh & Son, Pleasant Stile, Littledean, Cinderford, Gloucestershire, GL14 3NT. Tel: (01594) 823212.
Makes cider from local apples including Sweet Alford and Bulmers varieties and matured in oak. Has a Victorian 'Workman' twin screw press on show and is happy to have visitors provided they phone ahead. The high view from his cider house over the River Severn is worth the visit alone.
- Brook Apple Farm Cider & Perry, Bob Cook of Brook Apple Farm, 24 Rendcomb, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 7HF. Tel: (01285) 831479.
Phone first before planning a visit. Rencombe is the home address but the cider is made across the valley at Scrubditch Farm.
- Historical notes - Scrubditch is the name of an boundary ditch, similar to Offa's Dyke, which separated two iron age tribes. This can be seen near the farm. 'Brook Apple' alludes to farm labourers' disparaging description of cider given by some farmers to their workers which was diluted with brook water.
- Steve Burston, White Lodge, Springfields, Drybrook, Gloucestershire. Tel: (01594) 541738.
Maker of perry.
- Tilley's farmhouse Cider, Moat Farm, Malleson Road, Gotherington, nr Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52 9ET. Tel: (01242) 676807.
Dry, Medium and Sweet available from the farm, currently £1.20/litre.
- George, John George, Hay Traps, Leddington, Gloucestershire, GL18 2DZ. Tel: (01531) 890222.
- Matt Dunwell, Ragman's Lane Farm, Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, Tel: (01594) 860244.
- Robert Allen , Slimbridge Lane, Halmore, Gloucestershire. Tel (014530) 810 782
Small producer of cider and perry made in the traditional way. A rather out of the way producer, not signposted from the road, you may need to knock loudly or call the numbers listed on his door (see photo: ) Certainly 'rough cider' but also probably the cheapest! Map link: 
- Newtown Wines, Newtown Nurseries, Strawberry Hill, Newent, Gloucestershire, GL18 1LH.
Michael Sinclair makes grape and country wines, and bottled cider and perrys. The 2006 still dry perry is made from Moorcroft pears.
- Albert Rixen/Eric Freeman, Taynton, Gloucestershire. Tel: (01452) 790272.
Maker of perry.
- Alan Moore of Moore Brothers, Grove Court, Upton, Upton St. Leonard's, Gloucestershire.
Maker of Perry.
- Holder Cider, Oxenton, Nr Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire. Tel: (01242) 672903.
Also make Perry.
- Minchew's Real Cider & Perry, Kevin Minchew, Rose Cottage, Aston Cross, Nrm, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20 8HX. Tel: (01684) 773427.
Limited selection since he's about out for previous years and not selling last year yet, as I gathered. He had a bit of one award-winner at a (to me) ridiculous price.
- Riddle Cider, Oak Farm, Oldbury Lane, Thornbury, Bristol, South Gloucestershire, BS35 1RD. Tel: (01454) 413263.
No signs of cider when we visited in May 2013, appears to be a small plant nursery now
The farm is on the road from Thornbury to the power station at Oldbury, about a mile out of Thornbury. The farm is behind a cottage next to the north of the road on a fairly straight stretch. You will have to park on the narrow road if you have a car. Go through the side gate and ring the bell at the door if there's no-one around.
- Hartland Farmhouse Cider & Perry, Dereck and David Hartland, Tirley Villa, Tirley, Gloucestershire, GL19 4HA. Tel: (01452) 780480.
Deirections: Tirley is a village almost on the River Severn, South-West of Tewkesbury and North of Gloucester. Tirley Villa is west of Tirley, and stands on its own just south of the B4213. Look for the sign by the hedge alongside the main road. The house and cider barns are about 100 yards off the main road.
- Hayles Fruit Farm, Winchcombe, nr Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL54 5PB. Tel: (01242) 602123.
larger image Badgers Bottom Cider and Perry in bottles and plastic containers. Good Farm Shop and Tearoom, signed off the B4632 between Winchcombe and Toddington. Hayles can often be found at local farmers markets with their fruit, juices and cider. Also PYO, Fishing, Walks, and Camping & Caravan site. webpage.
The Orchard Centre, Hartpury, Gloucestershire. ***OPENED AUTUMN 2008*** From the website: 'The attractive oak framed Orchard Centre at Hartpury will act as a visitor information point, as well as a unique specialist centre for training in the production of cider, perry, juice and orchard fruit-based products. It will also become a venue for other events and activities, including country markets, tutored tastings, activity weekends, and the traditional fun of “Wassails”.'
Also home to the Hartpury National Collection of Perry Pears. The orchard can be explored on a self guided tour.
For outlets (pubs) in Gloucestershire see Cider_Pub_Guide_to_Gloucestershire_and_Bristol
|Have you found the information on this page useful? Do return after you've visited the producers, and update the site with any changes.|